Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups peeled cooked chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 large pear, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 loaves day-old white bread (1 pound each), cubed
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, saute onion and fennel in 1/2 cup butter until tender. Stir in garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in chestnuts, pear, broth, dried fruit, seasonings and remaining butter; cook until butter is melted. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or until dried fruit is softened.
- 2. Place in a large bowl. Stir in bread cubes. Whisk eggs and milk; drizzle over stuffing and toss to coat.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. and a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 21 servings.
3/4 cup: 290 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 503mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Chestnut Stuffing
"I added some sage to mine and it was very good. Plus I only used one loaf of a good, hearty bread and it was plenty."