- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups peeled cooked chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 large pear, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 loaves day-old white bread (1 pound each), cubed
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- In a large skillet, saute onion and fennel in 1/2 cup butter until tender. Stir in garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the chestnuts, pear, broth, dried fruit, seasonings and remaining butter; cook until butter is melted. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until dried fruit is softened.
- Place in a large bowl. Stir in bread cubes. Whisk eggs and milk; drizzle over stuffing and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. and a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 21 servings.
Reviews forChestnut Stuffing
"I added some sage to mine and it was very good. Plus I only used one loaf of a good, hearty bread and it was plenty."