Chestnut-Onion Stuffed Turducken Bundles
A friend told me about turducken, and these bundles are my best attempt at creating an easy version. The flavor of all three birds comes through and goes wonderfully with the sauce. —Barbara Lento, Houston, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 65 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1/2 cup whole cooked and peeled chestnuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 2 tablespoons Cognac
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 turkey breast cutlets (6 ounces each)
- 4 boneless skinless duck breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 8 chicken tenderloins (1 ounce each)
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- CRANBERRY-ORANGE SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a large skillet, saute onions and chestnuts in oil and 2 teaspoons butter for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown; remove from the heat. Stir in the Cognac, sugar and thyme; set aside.
- Flatten turkey and duck to 1/4-in. thickness; spread two tablespoons onion mixture over each turkey and duck breast. Place duck on turkey; place two chicken tenders along one end of each duck breast. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; secure with toothpicks.
- In a shallow bowl, place remaining melted butter. Combine bread crumbs and almonds in a separate shallow bowl. Dip bundle in melted butter, then coat with crumb mixture. Place seam side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk the sugar, cornstarch, salt, cloves and orange juice until smooth. Add cranberries. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add the lemon juice, mint, butter and zests.
- To serve, discard toothpicks; cut each bundle into six slices. Place three slices on each serving plate; drizzle with 1/4 cup sauce.
Originally published as INDIVIDUAL TURDUCKEN ROLLS with Carmelized Onion and Chestnut Stuffing in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.