Cherry Whoopie Pies
Red velvet cake is so good, that I decided to create whoopie pies out of packaged cake mix. The individual "pies" are filled with velvety cream cheese frosting. Your family is sure to will love this dessert. They are also ideal for bake sales and potlucks.—Lesley Marie Boylan, Centerville, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 package red velvet cake mix (regular size)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 36 maraschino cherries, halved
- 3/4 cup canned cream cheese frosting
- 2/3 cup whipped topping
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil and extract; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Top each with a cherry half. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, beat frosting and whipped topping until blended; fold in chopped cherries. Spread filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Refrigerate until serving.
To Make Ahead: Cookies can be baked the day before assembly. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 138 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.