Cherry Upside-Down Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Cook: 2-3/4 hours
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) sliced white bread
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Place bread slices on ungreased baking sheets. Broil each pan 3-4 in. from heat until golden brown, 1-2 minutes on each side; let cool. Cut into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
- Spoon pie filling into a greased 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until crumbly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk, cinnamon and vanilla (mixture may appear curdled). Gently stir in chocolate chips and bread cubes; let stand until bread is softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low until set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 2-3/4-3-1/4 hours. Serve warm, with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 393 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 30, 2019
Loved this recipe. Only change made to the recipe was that I omitted the chocolate chips. Even my niece who does not like bread pudding raved about this recipe. Recipe is a definite keeper.
Aug 26, 2019
Question... can this be made in conventional oven? Thanks...