"I wanted to make a dessert that was light, refreshing and simple," shares Margo Seergrist of Shelton, Washington. "The chocolate syrup in this tempting trifle is a sweet surprise, and everyone loves the topping of toasted coconut and almonds."
Recommended: 50 Swoon-Worthy Layered Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/4 cups cold milk, divided
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 prepared angel food cake (10 inches)
- 2 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 3/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1-3/4 cups of milk and pudding mix. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes or until thickened. In another bowl, beat whipped topping mix, vanilla and remaining milk until stiff peaks form.
- Cut cake into 1/2-in. cubes; place half in a 3-qt. glass bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cherry juice. Top with half of the pie filling, half of the pudding and 1/4 cup of chocolate syrup. Repeat layers. Top with whipped topping and remaining syrup. Sprinkle with coconut and almonds. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Trifle in Quick Cooking September/October 2001, p61