Cherry-Topped Chocolate Cake
Bonnie Cochran from Bryson City, North Carolina shares her special recipe for a dense and fudgy, flourless chocolate cake. “My husband and I love this rich, moist, ‘special occasion’ dessert,” she says. “The cherry pie filling and whipped topping really dress it up…and it’s sure to satisfy any sweet tooth!”
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 5 teaspoons baking cocoa, divided
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 9 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Coat a 9-in. springform pan with cooking spray; line with waxed paper and spray the paper. Dust with 2 teaspoons cocoa. Place pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square); securely wrap foil around pan.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt butter and chocolate. Cool to lukewarm. In a large bowl, beat eggs and 1/2 cup sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the remaining cocoa and sugar; beat into eggs. Add vanilla. Gradually beat in cooled chocolate mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
- Place pan in a large baking pan; add 3/4 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan; cool completely. Serve with cherry pie filling and whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers.