Cherry Streusel Square
I don't think food should take longer to make than it does to eat, so I love these time-saving bar cookies. At Christmas, I like to use red and green cherries.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup finely chopped candied or maraschino cherries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour. Stir in pecans and cherries. Spread into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add pecans. Sprinkle over dough. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until very light brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into 1-1/2-in. squares.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 125 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Streusel Squares in Country Woman Christmas 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.