I don't think food should take longer to make than it does to eat, so I love these time-saving bar cookies. At Christmas, I like to use red and green cherries.
Recommended: 70 Homemade Baked Goods that Start with Cake Mix
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup finely chopped candied or maraschino cherries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour. Stir in pecans and cherries. Spread into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add pecans. Sprinkle over dough. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until very light brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into 1-1/2-in. squares. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Cherry Streusel Squares in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p46