Served warm, this cherry sauce makes a wonderful topping for sponge cake, pound cake or ice cream. You could also try it as a filling for crepes or blintzes.
Recommended: 20 Recipes with Fresh Cherries
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted tart red cherries, juice reserved
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Few drops red food coloring, optional
- Sponge cake, pound cake or ice cream
- Drain cherries and set aside. Add enough water to juice to equal 1-1/4 cups. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in juice. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter, vanilla, cherries and food coloring if desired. Serve warm over cake or ice cream. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Sauce in Country Woman March/April 1992, p35