- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour and salt; stir well. Cut in butter until crumbly. Pat 2 cups of mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; cover with rhubarb. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water; cook until mixture is thickened and clear. Stir in extract and cherry filling; spoon over rhubarb. Combine nuts with reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over cherries. Bake at 350° for about 40-45 minutes. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forCherry Rhubarb Crunch
"The best recipe ever and have been making it for years! Since I'm a single household, I use 10 oz baking dishes (I use vintage Pyrex #700 or use the modern made dishes) to create individual desserts. I skip the bottom crust by spreading approximately 1 cup of the cherry rhubarb mixture into dish, then sprinkling approximately 1/2 cup of crumble mixture on top. I wrap dishes in plastic wrap, slide into zip bags and freeze. When ready to bake, set dish in a foil pie pan, bake for 50-55 minutes. I also use chopped slivered almonds in place of walnuts."
"Very good..had requests to make over and over! Could cut back on sugar as it is rather sweet."
"this is the best recipe- the only problem is I cannot stop eating it!I like extra crumbs- so I use all the crumb mixture for the topping- and do not use any for the base- it is really really good!"