- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Additional coconut, optional
- Drain and chop cherries, reserving juice; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine milk and 1/4 cup reserved cherry juice; add to creamed mixture alternately with flour, beating well after each addition. Fold in 1/2 cup cherries.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough reserved cherry juice to achieve spreading consistency. Fold in coconut and remaining chopped cherries. Frost cake. Sprinkle with walnuts and additional coconut if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCherry Pound Cake
"This cake was so delicious! It's a keeper in my book. I cut the recipe in half.Thank you for sharing"
"Substituted almond for the vanilla, replaced the shortening w/butter, added additional cherries dusted w/some of the flour. Did not frost, just dusted w/icing sugar. Really, really good!"
"Fantastic and showy cake..the best ever!!!"
"I served this for church coffee hour, it was a hit. Three women asked for the recipe. I cut it thin as it is heavy texture. easy to make"
"No baking power; or is it self-rising flour?heavy soggy in center !!!"