Cherry Pineapple Salad
This recipe makes a really pretty salad. My sister-in-law often brings it to our family get-togethers on holidays and special occasions. —Leona Luecking, West Burlington, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3 packages (3 ounces each) cherry gelatin
- 2-1/3 cups boiling water
- 2 cans (16-1/2 ounces each) pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in water. Drain fruits, reserving enough cherry and pineapple juices to measure 2-1/2 cups; add to gelatin with lemon juice. Set fruits aside.
- Divide gelatin mixture in half. Set aside one portion of gelatin at room temperature; chill the other portion until partially set. Fold pineapple into chilled gelatin; pour into a 13x9-in. dish. Chill until almost firm.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream, mayonnaise, cream cheese and salt until light and fluffy. Spread over chilled gelatin layer. Refrigerate until firm. Chill reserved gelatin mixture until partially set. Fold in cherries and nuts; spread over cream cheese layer. Chill for at least 3 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 151 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Pineapple Salad in Country Extra May 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.