This oldie, but goodie was given to me by my sister many, many years ago. She obtain the recipe when she worked in kitchen of a country club. The cake-like cookie is brimming with candied fruit and pecans. It is reminiscent of fruitcake.—Margaret Reinhardt, Muskego, Wisconsin
Recommended: 20 Recipes for Your Christmas Cookie Swap
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped red candied cherries
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped candied pineapple
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, butter and vanilla until combined. Stir in pecans and fruits. In another large bowl, beat egg whites and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into the flour mixture.
- Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut into squares and roll in confectioners'sugar. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Cherry Pecan Chews in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p113