Cherry Pear Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 6 cups sliced peeled fresh pears
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss pears and cherries with lemon juice and extract. Combine sugar and cornstarch. Add to pear mixture; toss to coat. Spoon into crust. In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in almonds. Sprinkle over filling.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
1 piece: 531 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 80g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Pear Pie
"I haven't made this yet, and I can't wait to try it. I know that it will be a 5-star dessert. I like your idea of topping it with frozen yogurt; a cherry sorbet would work as well. If you want to indulge, though, use a dark chocolate ice cream or Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream, and then drizzle a little chocolate sauce over it all."
"Flavor of this pie was wonderful. My husband said it tasted like something you'd have at a "fancy restaurant." This will become a tradition at my house."