VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- In bread machine pan, place the first eight ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- For filling, combine the sugars in a small bowl; cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in the cherries, raisins and walnuts; set aside. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 20-in. x 10-in. rectangle; sprinkle with filling to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; seal ends.
- Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; pinch ends together to form a heart. With scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown, covering with foil to prevent overbrowning during the last 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1 loaf (2 pounds).
Originally published as Cherry-Nut Tea Ring in Taste of Home April/May 2005, p49