- 6 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and cut into quarters
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 milk chocolate candy bar (7 ounces), chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat cream over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of saucepan. In a heavy saucepan, combine the egg yolks, sugar and salt; whisk in a small amount of hot cream. Gradually whisk in remaining cream. Cook and stir over low heat until the mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in almond extract. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.
- Stir the cherries, coconut, almonds and chocolate into the ice cream just until combined. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
Reviews forCherry Nut Ice Cream
"Loved it! This recipe have a wonderful layering of flavors and texture. I used 2 tsp of almond and 1 tsp of vanilla. My husband has a simple palate so when I make it for him I just use the base and add cherries. I freeze in 1 cup freezer containers and its single serve."
"This recipe is HEAVENLY! I substituted smoked/salted almonds (chopped) and it still tasted great!"