VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, butter and vanilla; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended (mixture will be thick).
- Set aside 1 cup dough for topping. Press remaining dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spread evenly with pie filling. Crumble reserved dough over the top; sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until top is dry and nuts are golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt vanilla chips and milks at 70% power; stir until smooth. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over bars. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Cherry-Nut Brownie Bars in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p72