Cherry Nut Breakfast Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110°-115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart red cherries, chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cups finely chopped almonds
- Few drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 to 2 teaspoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 3 cups flour. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours. Meanwhile, combine all filling ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to boil; reduce heat and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Cool. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to make a 14x16-in. rectangle. Spread with filling. Roll up, jelly roll-style, beginning with the long end. Cut into 12 slices. Place, cut side down, on a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, for about 25 minutes. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan; cool slightly. Combine all icing ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 403 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 6, 2013
I received a Champion at Bake Off with this recipe. It is easy and the dough rises like a dream following the recipe to the tee. I love to bake and after 40 years, my husband says these were the best yeast rolls he's ever eaten. I knew the minute they came out of the oven, they were a winner!!