Cherry Nut Bread Recipe
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 jars (10 ounces each) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk just until blended (batter will be thick).
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Fold in cherries and pecans.
- 3. Transfer to four greased and floured 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and loaves are golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 4 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 148 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Nut Bread
"These make wonderful Christmas gifts!Every one loves them!"