- 2 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 jars (10 ounces each) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk just until blended (batter will be thick). In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Fold in cherries and pecans.
- Transfer to four greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and loaves are golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 4 loaves.
Reviews forCherry Nut Bread
"So delicious and because it makes 4 loaves it’s great to give as presents in decorative packaging with pretty ribbons!"
"These make wonderful Christmas gifts!Every one loves them!"