Cherry Nectarine Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup pitted sweet cherries
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled fresh nectarines
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons almonds, toasted and ground
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter; pour into a 9-in. round baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Place a few cherries in center and arrange remaining cherries around edge of pan. Toss nectarines with lemon juice. Arrange nectarines in a circular pattern over sugar, overlapping slices; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in almonds. Spoon over fruit.
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan; invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 291 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 28, 2012
This is wonderful! Super easy - 2 nectarines and a handful of cherries. Cake is sweet and moist. I omitted the almonds and never missed them. It was done in 30 minutes so check early!