Cherry Meringue Dessert
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spoon meringue onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon, form meringue into a 9-in. heart shape, building up edges slightly.
- Bake at 275° for 1-1/2 hours. Turn oven off and do not open door; leave meringue in oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven; cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped cream until mixture is well blended. To serve, place heart on a serving platter; fill with cream cheese mixture and top with pie filling.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 6, 2015
Made this back when it came out in the magazine. It was fabulous and not as complicated as it looks. Want to make again!!!
Feb 15, 2012
Much easier than I thought it would be. It takes a lot of time in the oven, so plan ahead. Worth the time. It's light so we could eat with a big celebration dinner