- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until very stiff peaks form. Cover a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Spoon meringue onto foil. Using the back of a spoon, form meringue into a 9-in. heart shape, building up the edges slightly. Bake at 275° for 1-1/2 hours. Turn oven off and do not open door. Let cool in oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven; cool completely. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped cream until mixture is well blended. To serve, place heart on a serving platter; fill with cream cheese mixture and top with pie filling. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCherry Meringue Dessert
"Made this back when it came out in the magazine. It was fabulous and not as complicated as it looks. Want to make again!!!"
"Much easier than I thought it would be. It takes a lot of time in the oven, so plan ahead. Worth the time. It's light so we could eat with a big celebration dinner"