Cherry Lattice Coffee Cake
This cheery coffee cake is an all-time favorite with my seven grandchildren. The latticed top showcases the cherries so beautifully that it's almost too pretty to eat.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 coffee cake
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add sour cream, egg, sugar, butter, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Reserve 1 cup dough. Divide remaining dough in half. Roll each portion into a 9-in. circle; place in greased 9-in. round baking pans. Combine filling ingredients; spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edge.
- Roll out reserved dough to 1/4-in. thickness; cut into 1/2-in. strips. Make a lattice top over filling. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Cover top with foil; bake 20 minutes longer or until browned.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 165 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Lattice Coffee Cake in Country Woman Christmas 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.