Cherry Jubilee Cake
A luscious Bing cherry topping complements this light and tender cake. With a sprinkle of toasted almonds, the dessert is complete!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pitted dark sweet cherries, drained
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Whipped cream
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Pour melted butter into a 9-in. round baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange cherries in a single layer over sugar.
- In a large bowl, beat softened butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the butter mixture alternately with milk. Stir in extract. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon over cherries.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve warm with whipped cream.