- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted tart red cherries, undrained
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place cherries and juice in a large saucepan or Dutch oven along with water, 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons butter. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; place in a bowl. Cut in remaining butter with a pastry blender. Add milk and vanilla.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls over cherry mixture; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forCherry Grunt
"This was my first time in preparing this recipe. I used it for the Cherry Challenge this week and prepared it today! I think that for the first time, it worked out! I did adjust the recipe as I'd used pitted DARK SWEET CHERRIES IN HEAVY SYRUP plus the 1-1/2 cups of water, 2 Tbsp. butter, 1/3 cup sugar for sweet cherries OR 1/2 cup sugar for tart cherries. I covered cherry mixture and simmered for 5 minutes. I'd used 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, the 1 cup flour, 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder, which I sifted together and then cut in remaining butter with my pastry blender. I then added the milk and vanilla. I'd soured the milk with 1 Tbsp. white vinegar and stirred the dough until blended; dropping by small teaspoonfuls over cherry mixture. I covered and simmered 20 to 30 minutes and used a cake tester to test the dumplings. I have the reference book which this recipe came from: Grandma's Great Desserts and so I just printed the recipe from online!Thank you for sharing this dessert recipe! I'm giving this recipe a 4 since I'd never made it before! delowenstein"