Cherry Gingerbread Cupcakes Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 24 maraschino cherries, well drained
- LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full; place a cherry in the center of each. Bake at 375° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy; add vanilla and lemon peel. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 266 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Gingerbread Cupcakes
"Instead of cupcakes I turned it into a bundt cake. Great taste and the frosting is perfect, not to sweet."
"Made mine following Kerry Amundson's suggestion about the cloves and orange zest. Omitted the nuts due to an allergy in the family and used 1/3 cup dried cranberries, plumped in orange juice instead of the cherries. Fantastic Flavor!"
"I'm giving this a four ONLY because I did not follow the recipe - I modified it. But I will give mine a 5! I made mini cupcakes (yielded 64), added 1/4 t. cloves and 1 t. orange zest to the batter and left out the nuts and cherries since I was making these for the little kids in my class. I doubled the frosting and added 1 T. maple syrup and left out the lemon zest. Then I topped each one with a piece of candy corn. These are for a Thanksgiving treat at school. I will be making these again - my way. But some day I will follow the recipe!!"
"If you are on a diet, make sure you send these cupcakes home with your guests-they are irresistible !"