Mom has been making this cookie since 1953. They will freeze for over two months and still taste great! —Beth Neels, Ontario, NY
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cherry preserves
- 1/4 cup chopped slivered almonds
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap and refrigerate 4 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Using floured 2-3/4-in. and 3-in. cookie cutters, cut an equal number of circles in each size. Using a floured 1-in. cookie cutter, cut out centers from larger circles.
- For filling, mix preserves and almonds. Place solid circles 1-1/2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Spoon 2 teaspoons filling on center of each. Top with cutout circles.
- Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 240 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Jam Filled Cookies in Simple & Delicious December/January 2018