Mom has been making this cookie since 1953. They will freeze for over two months and still taste great! —Beth Neels, Ontario, NY
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cherry preserves
- 1/4 cup chopped slivered almonds
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Using floured 2-3/4-in. and 3-in. cookie cutters, cut an equal number of circles in each size. Using a floured 1-in. cookie cutter, cut out centers from larger circles.
- For filling, mix preserves and almonds. Place solid circles 1-1/2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Spoon 2 teaspoons filling on center of each. Top with cutout circles.
- Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 240 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Jam Filled Cookies in Simple & Delicious December/January 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.