Cherry Crunch Ice Cream
I received this wonderful recipe many years ago from a friend. The creamy custard-style ice cream has a mild cherry flavor with a fun oat crunch. It takes some time to make, but it's worth the extra effort! -Dorothy Koshinski, Decatur, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Process: 20min./batch + freezing
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- In a large saucepan, whisk eggs, sugar and milk until combined. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; cool. Beat in the pudding mix, cream, vanilla and salt. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spread in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Stir pie filling into cream mixture. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.
- After removing from ice cream freezer, stir a portion of oat mixture into each batch. Transfer to a freezer container. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 405 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Crunch Ice Cream in Taste of Home April/May 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.