Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cherry juice blend
- 4 cups pitted tart red cherries
- Few drops red food coloring, optional
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a bowl, combine salt, sugar and flour; cut in butter. Press into a greased 2-qt. or 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- For filling, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in juice. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Fold in cherries and food coloring if desired. Pour over baked crust. Combine all topping ingredients; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly around edges.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 559 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 93g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 6, 2018
This is everything you want from a cherry crisp. It's a keeper... Thanks! I made one drastic change, though, in trying to cut calories: I eliminated the bottom crust, since I'd never seen one on a crisp before. It did not suffer because of this, and brought the calories down to 336, instead of the original 559! I do think I'll reduce the granulated sugar to 1/2 cup next time, to bring it down to 312 calories. It was still be pretty sweet, even though I used 1 cup of the unsweetened juice from the 2 cans of tart cherries in place of the cherry drink called for. (I'm jealous of you ladies with the cherry trees!) I also added 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract, and didn't add any red food coloring - it was nice and red.
Jul 16, 2017
My children were swarming the counter while cooking -tasting the crust, tasting the cherry mixture, tasting the topping...licking the bowls even! It's in the oven now but WOW-WEE.Glad we have a couple cherry trees because this is an instant hit right out of the bowl!
Jul 30, 2016
This cherry crisp is outstanding! I made the recipe as written and added a little almond extract. We really enjoyed it and I'll definitely be making this again!
Dec 28, 2015
Best ever recipe for cherry crisp! I did add 1 tsp. of almond flavoring because I love the combination of cherry and almond. Be sure to grease the pan well.
Jul 4, 2015
Gave this a try and it is an excellent recipe. I added a little ginger to the cherries to give it some zing. Love cherries!!!
Jan 11, 2015
I have been looking for a great cherry crisp recipe, as my old one was just "so-so". This is IT :) My family fights over the topping on cherry crisp - but this recipe provides a generous topping - plenty for everyone! DELICIOUS.
Jul 27, 2014
Absolutely wonderful! Cut the sugar in the crust to 3/4 c and left it in the oven for 3 min longer before filling. Crunchy and not too sweet!
Sep 23, 2013
Aug 6, 2013
Will definitely make this again. Loved the pastry on the bottom. I added some rhubarb to it and will try w/o it next time.
Jun 14, 2013
A wonderful dessert I will continue to make. It was fabulous with the fresh cherries from our cherry tree. Thanks for the great recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.