Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cherry juice blend
- 4 cups pitted tart red cherries
- Few drops red food coloring, optional
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a bowl, combine salt, sugar and flour; cut in butter. Press into a greased 2-qt. or 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- For filling, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in juice. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Fold in cherries and food coloring if desired. Pour over baked crust. Combine all topping ingredients; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly around edges.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 559 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 93g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 6, 2018
This is everything you want from a cherry crisp. It's a keeper... Thanks! I made one drastic change, though, in trying to cut calories: I eliminated the bottom crust, since I'd never seen one on a crisp before. It did not suffer because of this, and brought the calories down to 336, instead of the original 559! I do think I'll reduce the granulated sugar to 1/2 cup next time, to bring it down to 312 calories. It was still be pretty sweet, even though I used 1 cup of the unsweetened juice from the 2 cans of tart cherries in place of the cherry drink called for. (I'm jealous of you ladies with the cherry trees!) I also added 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract, and didn't add any red food coloring - it was nice and red.
Jul 16, 2017
My children were swarming the counter while cooking -tasting the crust, tasting the cherry mixture, tasting the topping...licking the bowls even! It's in the oven now but WOW-WEE.Glad we have a couple cherry trees because this is an instant hit right out of the bowl!
Jul 30, 2016
This cherry crisp is outstanding! I made the recipe as written and added a little almond extract. We really enjoyed it and I'll definitely be making this again!
Dec 28, 2015
Best ever recipe for cherry crisp! I did add 1 tsp. of almond flavoring because I love the combination of cherry and almond. Be sure to grease the pan well.
Jul 4, 2015
Gave this a try and it is an excellent recipe. I added a little ginger to the cherries to give it some zing. Love cherries!!!
Jan 11, 2015
I have been looking for a great cherry crisp recipe, as my old one was just "so-so". This is IT :) My family fights over the topping on cherry crisp - but this recipe provides a generous topping - plenty for everyone! DELICIOUS.
Jul 27, 2014
Absolutely wonderful! Cut the sugar in the crust to 3/4 c and left it in the oven for 3 min longer before filling. Crunchy and not too sweet!
Sep 23, 2013
Aug 6, 2013
Will definitely make this again. Loved the pastry on the bottom. I added some rhubarb to it and will try w/o it next time.
Jun 14, 2013
A wonderful dessert I will continue to make. It was fabulous with the fresh cherries from our cherry tree. Thanks for the great recipe!