This Christmas, skip the boxed chocolate-covered cherries sitting on store shelves. The taste of these homemade confections just can't be beat. Plus, they're a snap to make with only three basic ingredients—you simply soak the cherries in brandy, melt the chocolates and dip!—Dorothy Bayard, Hubertus, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + freezing
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries with stems, drained
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Place cherries in a small bowl; add brandy. Cover and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Place chocolate chips in a small heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat until chips begin to melt. Remove from the heat; stir. Return to the heat; cook just until melted. Immediately remove from the heat; stir until smooth.
- Pat cherries dry. Holding onto the stems, dip cherries into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on a waxed paper-lined pan. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until firm. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 52 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Cherry Cordials in Country Woman Christmas 2010