Cherry Coffee Ring
As warm and welcoming as a Christmas wreath, this cheery cherry coffee ring is delicious and drizzled with a pretty pink glaze. My family insists I make it for the yuletide season.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 maraschino cherries, chopped and patted dry
- 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 10 squares)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 to 8 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the egg, sugar, shortening, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in cherries and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubles, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Combine the filling ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over dough. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 23-28 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. For glaze, combine the sugar, extract and enough juice to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cooled bread.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 373 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Cherrry Coffee Ring in Country Woman Christmas 2004