Cherry Coffee Ring
As warm and welcoming as a Christmas wreath, this cheery cherry coffee ring is delicious and drizzled with a pretty pink glaze. My family insists I make it for the yuletide season.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 maraschino cherries, chopped and patted dry
- 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 10 squares)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 to 8 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the egg, sugar, shortening, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in cherries and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubles, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Combine the filling ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over dough. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 23-28 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. For glaze, combine the sugar, extract and enough juice to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cooled bread.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 373 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.