Cherry Coffee Cake with Walnut Topping
During the 21 years my husband was in the Navy, the wives got together to exchange recipes. This one's from a California woman, and it's great. All five of my daughters have added this to their recipe collections.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup cherry 100% spreadable fruit
- 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Spread half of batter in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Combine cherry spread and food coloring if desired; spread over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter until crumbly; add walnuts. Sprinkle over top. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.