Cherry Coffee Cake with Walnut Topping
During the 21 years my husband was in the Navy, the wives got together to exchange recipes. This one's from a California woman, and it's great. All five of my daughters have added this to their recipe collections.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup cherry 100% spreadable fruit
- 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Spread half of batter in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Combine cherry spread and food coloring if desired; spread over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter until crumbly; add walnuts. Sprinkle over top. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 278 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Coffee Cake in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook