- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter (no substitutes)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup quartered maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- In a bowl, combine flour and confectioners' sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
- For filling, combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the egg mixture. Stir in walnuts, cherries and coconut. Spread over crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forCherry Coconut Bars
"This has also been our Christmas tradition since living at Selfridge air force base in 1964. My mom made these for my brothers boy scouts party one time and they were huge success! I wonder if you and my mom knew each other!......we have always loved these, eating one right now and have past on the recipe to all of my kids. She got the recipe out of the 1960 Betty Crocker party book. Thanks for Shari g"
"These come out great and have a great taste too. I have been wanting to try this, since it has been a long time since I had these. And they are really as good as I remember. I let them set for awhile before cutting, and they came out perfect. Yummy."
"I think these cherry coconut bars were easy to make and tasted good & chewy, I baked them the full 25 min. The only problem I had was the bottom crumbled a little. How could I firm up the bottom?"
"Good Good Good"