- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes), softened, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 18 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 square (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- In a mixing bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter and sugar. Beat in flour and cocoa (mixture will be crumbly). Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until surface is set. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and remaining butter; beat in milk and vanilla until smooth. Spread over crust. Pat cherries dry with a paper towel; arrange over frosting and press down gently.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cherries. Refrigerate until glaze has hardened. Cut into squares. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forCherry Cocoa Shortbread Squares
"These bars are so pretty on a serving tray for the holidays; These bars a sooo yummy!!"