- 5 cups pitted canned tart red cherries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- 1. Drain cherries, reserving 1-1/4 cups juice; set aside. Discard remaining juice. In a large saucepan, combine the sugars, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; stir in lemon juice and reserved cherry juice until smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 2. Add cherries; pour into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. For topping, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in enough milk to moisten. Drop by tablespoonfuls over cherries. Bake at 450° for 10-13 minutes or until golden brown.
1 each: 291 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 15, 2014
i also added almond extract and it tasted a lot better the second time around. after reading the other reviews i spread the batter and it cooked through. so all in all yes i will make it again.
May 24, 2014
Cherries very tart; topping was flavorless and insufficient .
May 6, 2013
Everyone loved this recipe! I read the other review given and what I did was add 1 tsp. of almond extract and 1 tsp. of lemon juice. When I make it again, I will make sure I spread the cobbler batter out more. I put spoonfuls into the cherry mixture, but it took longer for it to bake because the batter wasn't cooking through. I will definitely make this again!
Mar 15, 2010
I had a recipe I somehow lost that was very similar to this one. I recall that 1 teaspoon of almond extract was added to the stewed cherries. I used that instead of the lemon juice and really liked the results. However, another time I used the lemon juice and liked that too. Whichever I use, I love this recipe!