- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- CHERRY-CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 pound fresh or frozen sweet cherries, thawed, pitted and chopped
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by 2 rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- Let whipped topping stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, bring sugar and milk to a boil; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to low; stir in chocolate until melted.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Cool to room temperature, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Fold in whipped topping.
- Fill each cream puff with a heaping tablespoonful of cherries; top with chocolate filling. Replace tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forCherry-Chocolate Cream Puffs
"This was a very delicious cream puff recipe that I will keep close to forever. I followed the directions (not the picture), and they turned out great. Light and little sweetness to the cream puff, very chocolatey cream and fresh/frozen cherries."
"If you look closely the cream IS chocolate, looks like a very light chocolate and it would be good to mix in the cherries except they may make the cream runny when they begin to release their juices. There is no chocolate drizzled on top it is definately powdered sugar. I make cream puffs often, have since I was about 14 (I'm now 59), and these look awesome. Never thought to put cherries in them!"
"The picture doesn't match the directions. It says to add the chocolate and the cherries but the picture only shows white cream and the other picture shows white cherry in the white cream. I don't understand"