- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, soak cherries in hot water for at least 10 minutes. In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugars until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, orange peel and vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture, beating until combined. Stir in the chocolate chip and cherries with liquid.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forCherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
"Chewy, Sweet, Tart, hearty, these are awesome!"
"My Sunday School group went wild over these!"
"My family loves these cookies. Can't get enough of them."
"I made a double batch of these cookies for friends and family at Christmas. The cookies I did were HUGE, on purpose of course. Everyone loved them! I'll definitely make them again."