Cherry Chocolate Chip Bread
Filled with chocolate chips, hazelnuts and maraschino cherries, this heavenly quick bread is a sweet way to end holiday meals. Your guests will love it as an alternative to traditional fruitcake.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the chocolate chips, nuts and cherries.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 259 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2009