Cherry Cheesecake Kolaches
I've been baking for 50 years. Since my granddaughter loves cherry cheesecake, I decided to try to put that kind of filling in kolaches— a traditional Czech pastry. It worked great, and now friends and relatives ask me to bring these kolaches to every get-together.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup mashed potatoes (without added butter or milk)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 12 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon whole milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, potatoes, egg yolks and salt; beat until smooth. Add enough flour to make a very soft dough. Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll out about 1/4 cup of dough into a rope about 8-9 in. long. Tie in a knot; tuck one end on top and the other end under bottom of knot. Repeat with remaining dough. Place in greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Make a deep depression in each roll.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla. Spoon 1 tablespoon into each roll. Make an indentation in cream cheese filling; top each with 2 to 3 cherries from the pie filling (discard remaining cherry sauce or save for another use). Let rise until almost doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over kolaches. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 290 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Cheesecake Kolaches in Country Woman Christmas 1997