Cherry Cheesecake Kolaches
I've been baking for 50 years. Since my granddaughter loves cherry cheesecake, I decided to try to put that kind of filling in kolaches— a traditional Czech pastry. It worked great, and now friends and relatives ask me to bring these kolaches to every get-together.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup mashed potatoes (without added butter or milk)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 12 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon whole milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, potatoes, egg yolks and salt; beat until smooth. Add enough flour to make a very soft dough. Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll out about 1/4 cup of dough into a rope about 8-9 in. long. Tie in a knot; tuck one end on top and the other end under bottom of knot. Repeat with remaining dough. Place in greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Make a deep depression in each roll.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla. Spoon 1 tablespoon into each roll. Make an indentation in cream cheese filling; top each with 2 to 3 cherries from the pie filling (discard remaining cherry sauce or save for another use). Let rise until almost doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over kolaches. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 290 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Cheesecake Kolaches in Country Woman Christmas 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.