Cherry Cheese Blintzes Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CHERRY SAUCE:
- 1 pound fresh or frozen pitted sweet cherries
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the milk, eggs and butter. Combine flour and salt; add to milk mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 2. Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet; pour 2 tablespoons batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between. Wrap in foil; refrigerate.
- 3. In a blender, process cottage cheese until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; add cream cheese and beat until smooth. Beat in sugar and vanilla. Spread about 1 rounded tablespoonful onto each crepe. Fold opposite sides of crepe over filling, forming a little bundle.
- 4. Place seam side down in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring cherries, 2/3 cup water and sugar to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into cherry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with crepes. Yield: 9 servings.
2 blintzes: 245 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Cheese Blintzes
"I doubled the cream cheese......absolutely fantastic!!"
"I absolutely HATE Cherries, so I substituted a strawberry sauce. 1 pt of fresh or frozen strawberries (thawed), 1/8 cup water or the juice from the frozen strawberries, 1/2 tsp real balsamic vinegar (optional but well worth it). Puree thoroughly, then add 1/4 cup sugar and stir until dissolved. Add extra sugar to your taste. You CAN cook this before blending. If you do I would bring to a light boil, then add 1-2 tbl of butter before cooling and pureeing. Add the sugar while boiling. Options: substitute orange juice for the water, substitute a squeeze of fresh lemon juice for the balsamic vinegar."
"Recipe is delicious. There are some tricks that I would like to share. First of all, you need to add 4 tablespoons of batter to the 8-inch skillet. 2 tablespoons only coats half of the pan. Also, I used 2% cottage cheese, fat free cream cheese, and skim milk, and it turned out fine. Lastly, it takes a long time to cook & flip each individual crepe; next time I am going to try to have 2 pans going at once. Last time I made these, I made the crepes the day before in order to save time. These are easy, but time-consuming. The taste is worth it, though."
"I make this all the time with gluten free rice four blend, and it is perfect. Makes a great gluten free desert."