- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen dark sweet cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until cherries are tender and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally. Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.
Reviews forCherry Barbecue Sauce
"this is a good sauce for fresh cherries, I played around with the ingredients and swapped some out and added my own touches.... I will definitely be making this during the winter months with the frozen cherries. thanks for sharing!"
"Pretty good. Used fresh cherries. Maybe not quite zippy enough for me. We love cherries so I will make again."
"Made slow baked chicken breasts using this sauce.My husband said this was his favorite of anything I have EVER made with chicken. Not sure whether to take this as a compliment or an insult to the last 20 years my scratch cooking!Seriously, this is very very good bbq sauce. I just got done making a double batch for the freezer. Would be great on pork chops, elk steaks or duck too."
"Very good & different! Used frozen cherries & added some chopped jalepenos for some extra zip!"
"living in Wisconsin I am always looking for recipes with Cherries - awesome and easy"
"Purchased the Taste of Home Grill It cookbook and this was one of the recipes I've tried. Made a double batch with fresh bing cherries. The only change made was adding a little kick of heat with an Italian red pepper. EXCELLENT on BBQ whole chicken breast. Will be making an another double batch and canning for future use."
"Amazing flavor! So good on chicken or ribs. This is going to be one of my all time favorite recipes!"
"Absolutely incredible. I like it a little spicy, so i added some sweet hot Asian pepper sauce to it. Finger licking goodness."