This recipe makes three loaves of delicious bread. My family enjoys one loaf right away, then I give one loaf to a family member or friend and freeze the other to enjoy later.—Patty Bourne, Owings, Maryland
Recommended: 31 Easy Quick Bread Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8 ounces) dried apricots, chopped
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 jar (16 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 eggs
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Additional maraschino cherries and dried apricots, optional
- In a small bowl, combine apricots and water; let stand for 1 hour. Drain. Add cherries; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add sour cream, sugar, salt, butter, eggs and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; divide into thirds. On a floured board, roll each third into a 15-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Place each on a greased baking sheet. Spoon a third of the filling down the center of each rectangle. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips 2 in. into the center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Seal end. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cover with foil if browning too fast. Cool.
- Combine sugar and milk; drizzle over bread. Garnish with cherries and apricots if desired. Yield: 3 loaves.
Originally published as Cherry Apricot Tea Bread in Country Woman November/December 1996, p33