With only 1 gram of fat but delectable flavor, this divine dessert is sure to tempt the taste buds of everyone sitting at your dinner table—whether they're watching their weight or not.—Estelle Hardin, Washington, Utah
Recommended: 37 Desserts with a Surprise Inside
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-3/4 cups egg whites (about 13 )
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries (about 30), coarsely chopped and drained
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour twice; set aside. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Combine flour and remaining sugar; gradually fold into batter, 1/4 cup at a time. Fold in cherries.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 30-35 min. or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around the sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Serve with whipped topping. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Angel Food Cake in Country Woman March/April 2005, p36