I keep up a fast pace at college but still like to entertain. These pretty party cakes require just a handful of ingredients, yet always seem to impress guests. —Lisa Ruehlow of Madison, Wisconsin
Recommended: 37 Desserts with a Surprise Inside
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 can (20 ounces) reduced-sugar cherry pie filling
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Line two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans with ungreased parchment paper. Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Spread evenly in prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, sprinkle 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar over two kitchen towels. Immediately invert cakes onto prepared towels. Gently peel off parchment paper. Roll up cakes in towels jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cakes. Spread each with 1 cup whipped topping to within 1 in. of edges. Combine pie filling and extract; spread over whipped topping on each cake. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Dust with remaining confectioners' sugar. Slice; garnish with remaining whipped topping. Yield: 2 cakes (8 slices each).
Originally published as Cherry Angel Cake Roll in Light & Tasty August/September 2002, p31