- 8 cups pitted sour cherries (about 4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 10 cups sugar
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- In a stockpot, bring cherries and water to a boil; boil 15 minutes.
- Stir in sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 4 minutes. Stir in pectin. Continue to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Stir in extract. Ladle hot mixture into 11 hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 11 half-pints.
Reviews forCherry Almond Preserves
"This is the best jam recipe ever. It's great over ice cream and pancakes."
"I love the flavor of the cherries with almond extract."
"This recipe is delicious. I get raves every time I make it. Sometimes I need to add another packet of pectin."
"delicious and thick enough to spread"
"When I have purchased cherries, they usually come in juice. For this recipe, does the 8 cups of cherries include the juice, or do they need to be drained?"