Cherry Almond Mini Loaves
Plenty of good things come in these little loaves featuring golden raisins and cherries. There's a surprise— the creamy almond filling— in every scrumptious bite.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
Makes12 mini loaves
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups golden raisins
- 1-1/3 cups candied cherry halves
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 package (8 ounces) almond paste
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg white
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine milk, 1/2 cup butter, sugar and salt. Cook over low heat until butter is melted; stir until smooth. Cool to lukewarm (110°-115°).
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Stir in milk mixture, eggs and yolk. Gradually beat in 2 cups flour. Stir in raisins, cherries and orange zest. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a large greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough; divide into 12 portions. Shape each into a 6x4-in. oval. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- For filling, crumble almond paste in a small bowl; stir in sugar and egg white until smooth. Divide filling into 12 portions; roll each into a 5-in. log. Flatten slightly; place off-center on each oval. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Melt remaining butter; brush over each loaf. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 121 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cherry Almond Mini Loaves in Country Woman Christmas 1998