This easy treat from Helen Phillips in Eaton, Colorado is studded with dried cherries and crunchy almonds. Pair with a cup of steaming cocoa, coffee or tea for a quick winter warm-up!
Recommended: 20 Wedding Shower Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the yogurt, butter, egg and extract. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cherries and almonds.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 14 scones.
Originally published as Cherry-Almond Drop Scones in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007, p49