Cherry Almond Delights
A tender cream cheese dough filled with homemade almond paste and maraschino cherries makes an elegant cookie tart fit for a party.—Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Delaware
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 package (17-1/2 ounces) sugar cookie mix
- 1-1/2 cups slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 24 maraschino cherries, well-drained
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in egg. Add cookie mix; mix well (dough will be sticky). Shape dough into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
- Place almonds and sugar in a food processor; pulse until almonds are finely chopped. Add eggs; process until mixture forms a paste. Add butter and vanilla; process until blended.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-1/4-in. balls; press onto bottom and up the sides of greased mini-muffin cups.
- Place 1 tablespoon filling in each cup. Top each with a cherry. Bake 16-18 minutes or until edges are golden and filling is set. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Dust tops with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Originally published as Cherry Almond Delights in Cookies & Candies 2014 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.